Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Story Of Edgar Sawtelle -David Wroblewski



A seven day express checkout book from the library is always hard because the pressure is on to finish it in a week despite all of your other obligations. I picked this book up last week as it was a "New York Times Bestseller" only later, after reading it, did I also learn that it was a favorite of Oprah's. I liked the character of Edgar and the dogs, but I felt that overall the story was weak and predictable. Some of the writing is very engaging such as: "You swam in a river of chance and coincidence. You clung to the happiest accidents -the rest you let float by." I found the character of Edgar's mother to be a man's view of motherhood--not at all believable to me a mother of two. There are some surprises along the way. I loved the character of Henry. I was not spellbound by the book I was forcing myself to finish it so that I could return it.

www.edgarsawtelle.com

No comments: