Monday, January 11, 2010

The Road - Cormac McCarthy


After seeing this book on several lists as a top book of the past decade, I thought I'd better check it out. It is hard to read a book and be objective with so much prior accolade but I'll try. At the same time I was reading this, I have been re-reading The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene and I found several similarities. Although many hail McCarthy as brilliant, I'm not sure I'm there yet. I think The Power and the Glory is a classic that will stand the tests of time with phenomenal writing. I'm not sure The Road will. The setting is futuristic after a vague world apocalypse. It is a very masculine view of the future with rampant violence, a father protecting his son and a mother who checks herself out because she can't deal. Typical male perspective of the world. I found the book depressing although the ending could be argued is hopeful. It reminds me a bit of Lois Lowry's book The Giver which I have previously blogged about which did leave me feeling hopeful. I did find The Road easy to read and much of the writing does make you stop and think. Overall, though, I really did not care for it. Another book that I would add to my decade top ten over this one would be Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Her character development and story about a high school shooting is awesome.

No comments: