Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Favorite Maine Books




Here they are my favorite Maine books! While thinking about an upcoming vacation, I started the reminisce about time spent living there. My children were both born in Maine. What a beautiful state and you too can travel there in a book!

Harriet Beecher Stowe
Edna St. Vincent Millay


Rachel Field's "Hitty" is one of my all time favorite children's books. It is the travel adventure of a doll through 100 years.
"Miss Rumphius" is another children's treasure from Barbara Cooney. It emphasizes to children their responsibilty to make the world more beautiful.
Robert McCloskey's simple tale "One Morning in Maine" is about Sally and her lost tooth. I read it numerous times to my children when they were around five and fascinated with loose teeth.

Linda Greenlaw in the nonfiction book "The Lobster Chronicles" talks about being female in the very male dominated profession of lobstering.
"Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy" is by Grand Rapids own Gary D. Schmidt. (No relation to me--Schmidt is a very common name!) It is a race relation book from 1912 in Phippsburg, Maine and nearby Malaga Island. The State takes the island from a poor community of interracial squatters. The story is aimed at middle schoolers and it was a "Newberry Honor Book" I loved this book and hope to get my soon to be middle schooler interested in it before we travel there.
"Charlotte's Web" speaks for itself . What a childhood treasure! E.B. White wrote the book in Maine.



Charlotte Agell was a favorite author of my daughter's when we lived in Maine. I read the season books numerous times. My copy of "I Swam with a Seal" is signed for Danielle. We went to a book signing while living there. Charlotte Agell still lives in midcoast Maine. Visit her at
www.charlotteagell.com

No comments: