Friday, May 9, 2008

A Three Dog Life -Abigail Thomas


This book is a memoir which chronicles Abigail's life after her husband is hit by a car and suffers brain damage. I picked it up at the book store as the title caught my eye and I too am a dog lover. The cover had an endorsement by Stephen King which says, "The best memoir I have ever read. This book is a punch to the heart. Read It." Pretty heady stuff! I'm not a huge Stephen King fan, but his endoresement was spot on!
The book is written as little vignettes of the author's daily life. Each chapter has a different title and the book is not set up chronologically. The flow of dealing with a before and after story is all still there. I enjoyed her writing of the memoir more as moments. One of my favorite quotes from this book is : "Well, now I know I can control my tongue, my temper, and my appetites, but that's it. I have no effect on weather, traffic, or luck. I can't make good things happen. I can't keep anybody safe. I can't influence the future and I can't fix up the past.
What a relief."
Sometimes, I can't even control my tongue, my temper, or my appetite! It is a relief to realize that nothing else "controllable" is even on the radar screen of reasonableness.
www.AbigailThomas.net

No comments: