Sunday, August 24, 2008

English Textbook

School starts next week. My tenth grader picked up her books a few days ago and I've been reading some of its content. It's good to know that after all of the hassles with the required reading, there is hope for the real English Class! I found the perfect essay in the book on reading lists! It is written by Francine Prose. I've wondered when books like "Life of Pi" became classics. It's good to know that another mother shares my view. Read her essay. It is excellent.

http://www.harpers.org/archive/1999/09/0060648

The next essay from the book I loved was by Anna Quindlen. So many of our high school students are so stressed now. The pressures are much higher than when I was in high school. There are tenth graders taking 4 Advanced Placement Classes. I think it's too much. No one seems to be focusing these kids on what they really want to do in life. It is more about the race to be top in your class. That being said, it does seem like curriculum overall has been watered down to meet the new high school graduation requirements. When will we learn the value of true education and stop focusing on test scores and requirements? I'm more worried about what is at my children's core than their test scores, as Anna writes, that is what will sustain you.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/comm/oped/Quindlen.shtml

No comments: