Friday, August 1, 2008

The Gate Keepers -Jacques Steinberg


"The Gatekeepers" is another book off the dreaded high school list. The book chronicles the annual admission process to Wesleyan University. The admission year is for 1999-2000. I thought some of this information is probably already a bit dated. I did not enjoy the author's style of writing at all. He swings back and forth between students too much. There are about five students who are more featured in the book than others. I found all of them to be annoying. I think of the five highlighted 2 choose Wesleyan and one Native American(chosen specifically for his heritage) doesn't make it through the first academic year there.
Knowing that this whole college game is in my family's near future, reading this book gives you less faith than ever in the processes used. The admission officer in the book has the territory of California and Wesleyan is in New England competing with the Ivy League. I thought as I was reading this how decisions might be much different in today's increased travel cost environment. The kids in the book from California were all flying east for college tours and some were from families with limited means. Will this be happening as much in my children's generation?
My daughter decided to read "Walden" off of the list which is probably a safe bet as the book has been in print for 154 years. Another one that I looked at from the list, but couldn't even finish was by Annie Dillard "An American Childhood" which is also a memoir. I've heard that her other work is good. The memoir is very slow. I thought I would enjoy it as it takes place in Pittsburgh, PA and I used to live there. I found nothing in her story to relate to. I think I'll try her fiction. Ironically, she used to teach at Wesleyan and did a thesis project on "Walden". I think I'll return to books that aren't on a teacher's list now.

No comments: